Lavant peg back Henfield ... Bosham well-beaten

A draw for Lavant, defeat for Bosham and wins for Wheatsheaf and Chapel feature in our latest West Sussex Football League round-up.

Get involved in the coverage by sending your team’s report to

Lavant 2 Henfield 2

Premier division

SECOND-PLACED Henfield were twice pegged back at Lavant.

Henfield started well, pushing Lavant back early on. Lavant weathered the storm and chances fell to Peter Caveney and Mike Neville but the Henfield keeper saved well on both occasions.

The visitors broke the deadlock on the half-hour with a well-flighted cross headed in by a forward sneaking in at the back post.

Ten minutes later, Lavant levelled. The ball was won in midfield by Neville and threaded through to James Sandford, who continued his scoring streak by finishing well low to the keeper’s right.

There was an element of déjà vu to the start of the second half with Henfield flying out of the blocks - this time getting their reward, when a superbly-timed run into the channel followed by an acute finish made it 2-1.

Lavant levelled again five minutes later when the ball was slid home by Alex Holmes from the edge of the area following good build-up play.

There were chances for either side to win it but even after Henfield were reduced to ten men, Lavant were unable to capitalise.

LAVANT: Sanson, Gabb, Lillywhite, Wright, Lyttle, Knight,Maclean, Sandford, Neville, Holmes, Caveney. Subs: Humphreys, Smith, Cieszynski.

West Chiltington 5 Bosham 0

Premier division

THIS was a chastening experience for Bosham as a double from West Chiltington striker Dan Clayton inspired an emphatic win over a Robins side left shellshocked as their title aspirations were dealt a savage blow.

Bosham were behind in the first minute with the defence caught by a quick attack spearheaded by Scott Walters.

The defender launched a throw from his own half, giving Clayton with a clear run on goal. With Simon Hasted attempting to smother the striker, Clayton slotted a shot across the keeper and in.

The Robins were all at sea and a few minutes later, Matt Langley worked space on the edge of the Bosham area and placed an exquisite chip over Hasted into the net.

Just before the quarter-hour Clayton rubbed more salt into the wounds by making it three.

Gary Weedon burst through on goal only for Hasted to save. But the ball fell kindly for Dalton who slammed home.

Bosham started to get more of the ball and Matt Docherty went close to getting on the scoresheet, but put an effort narrowly over. Billy Huntley tested Chiltington keeper Jordan Mitchell, but it was 3-0 at the break.

Ironically, playing against the breeze in the second 
half, Bosham improved and showed desire to try to get back into it.

Graeme Dowden did his best to carve out openings down the flank, but it wasn’t happening in front of goal.

The hosts added two further goals to their tally to make it a miserable day for the Robins.

First Craig Dawson somehow wriggled free from a group of Bosham defenders to burst into the box and fire low into the bottom corner.

Then near the end, substitute James Peake smashed home a fifth following a shanked clearance from Hasted.

There will be plenty of bruises to nurse in the coming week as Bosham look to get back on track with a win this weekend.

Bosham: Hasted, Mullen, Probee, Blanshard, Jack Hancock, Docherty, Moore, Carter, Edgington, Huntley Dowden. Subs: Hartley, Brett.


Chapel 6 Fernhurst Res 0

Division five central

Chapel extended their unbeaten run to five games with a comprehensive win over Fernhurst.

The man of the match, Fernhurst keeper Harry Lambert, kept Chapel at bay for nearly half an hour before an own goal opened the floodgates.

Three more goals followed before half-time from Ben Plant, Ben Mariner and a second own goal.

Ferhurst had a little more of the play in the second half, but couldn’t prevent Matt Foster and Ben Mariner adding to the goal tally.

Wheatsheaf 4 Felpham Colts Res 0

Div five south

Wheatsheaf beat Felpham Colts with a bit to spare.

Early on, Felpham dominated, pressing well and making it hard for the Wheatsheaf, who wanted to keep it on the ground.

Wheatsheaf persisted with their passing from the back and despite the Felpham pressure, they began creating chances.

The best saw full-back Tony Mcleish join the attack and drive a cross into the box which Michael Woolston put away from six yards out.

Scott Adams forced the keeper to make a great save, while Stuart Mercer, who had created most of the chances, saw a cross converted when Mathew Parker scored a carbon copy of Wheatsheaf’s first.

Mercer was inspired and was again the provider when he sent Woolston clear with the keeper and he made it 3-0.

Substitute Gavin Sutton was unlucky when his effort was tipped over by the keeper, but he soon squared to Woolston, who completed his hat-trick.

The win takes Wheatsheaf second in 
the table.