Luke who’s hit a hat-trick for Midhurst

There were contrasting fortunes for Midhurst and Sidlesham this week - with the men from Rotherfield notching a fine win but the Sids on ther wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline.

Midhurst 4 Saltdean 0

Sussex League division two

Midhurst romped to a much-needed win thanks largely to Luke Sheldrick’s hat-trick.

Saltdean arrived at Rotherfield only a point above Midhurst, who were anchored at the bottom of the table with six points.

Play was fast and furious from the kick-off and Midhurst were ahead after just three minutes when Sheldrick netted from close range.

That lifted Midhurst and another goal by Sheldrick after 16 minutes gave them daylight.

Saltdean were putting in plenty of effort but they were well held at bay by the Midhurst defence with Gary Norgate and Lawrence Hyde prominent. Not many weeks ago, Midhurst were finding it difficult to raise a full team - on this occasion, they had 11 on the pitch plus a five-man bench.

In the second half, Sheldrick took a neat pass from Ashley Peck to complete his treble - and the 3-0 scoreline safeguarded Midhurst’s superiority.

Kevin White replaced Mark Pelling and Tom Merritt-Smith replaced James Turner.

Saltdean’s Paul Fleming obstructed a Midhurst player in the area and Midhurst captain Norgate put the kick beyond Dane Amite in the visitors’ goal.

MIDHURST: Kearns, Casselton, Renshaw, Newton, Norgate, Hyde, Pelling, Peck, Dummer, Sheldrick, Merritt-Smith.

Midhurst visit Westfield this Saturday, while the reserves host Worthing (2pm).


Sidlesham 0 Langney Wanderers 3

Sussex League division three

The Sids went into this match on a losing streak and the resignation of their manager added to a miserable end to November.

On 15 minutes following a defensive mix-up, Langney were gifted the opening goal.

The Sids pushed into the Langney half and were unlucky when Callum Spencer had a good chance but the keeper managed to block his effort. Soon he got into another scoring position but the keeper managed to keep the ball out.

Langney were going all out for the next goal but just before half-time the Sids were unlucky when a blistering shot from Dan Bassil went inches wide.

The second half was end to end but Langney scored their second on 62 minutes.

On 82 minutes they scored the goal of the game to condemn the Sids to yet another defeat.

Sids did not win a match in November and have dropped to seventh. They need to get their players back to fitness, but they have brought some of the under-18s into the team and they have played very well - so things look promising for the future.

SIDS: Rogers, Low, Carrigher, Jones, Newman, Whitehead, Mycock, Spencer, Hounsome, Bassil, Derry, Brown, Rowlatt.

The Sids visit Clymping this Saturday.