Reds find form at Villa ... Lavant are lanced

Games involving Newtown Villa, Bosham, Lavant, Chapel and Regis Vets all feature in our latest reound-up from the West Sussex League.

Newtown Villa 0 Bosham 2

West Sussex premier div

THE REDS got their win tally up and running as two second-half goals settled a difficult match at Jubilee Fields, the home of Newtown Villa.

The Blues got off to a decent start and Matt Robb used his lofty presence to win a few headers.

Ben Blanshard was a rock in defence for the Reds and Simon Hasted was pretty untroubled in the Bosham goal, although he did pull off one stunning save to deny Robb.

Bosham began to settle and chances came.

Adam Brett was a constant menace down the left and, from one cross, Graeme Dowden was gutted to see his header go narrowly over.

Workhorse James Ash bullied his way through the Blues defence but shot straight at keeper Calvin Negus.

The second half saw Dowden hit the bar with a bullet header and eventually, just after the hour, the breakthrough came.

Bosham had been dangerous with every set-piece around the box and from another searching corner from Dowden, Blanshard had a simple job to nod home.

Villa were feeling the effects of all their efforts and Bosham took advantage to double the lead through Joe Hancock, who headed in from a wonderful cross from Tom Davies.

This was a positive result in a tricky game and Bosham will certainly look forward to this week’s trip to Mile Oak in the Vernon Wentworth Cup.

BOSHAM: Hasted, Blanshard, Brett, Davies, Docherty, Probee, Dowden, Ash, Redman, Bell, Joe Hancock.


Lavant 1 Lancing Utd 2

Premier division

Before the match, there was a minute’s silence to mark the death of 67-year-old John Squires, a former player, supporter and, with his wife, sponsor of Lavant.

The game pitted a long-ball side against a passing team.

In the first half, Lavant dominated but the final pass let them down. The visitors relied on long balls to striker Chris Phillips, who fed runners.

Lancing had one chance in the first half which resulted from a long ball to Phillips who, with back to goal, chipped a forward pass to Josh High. He had not been tracked by his marker and lobbed the Lavant keeper to put the visitors ahead 1-0 on 13 minutes.

Ryan Seacombe scored but had it ruled offside and James Sandford was inches wide from a Mike Bartley cross just before half-time.

Manager David Parker changed his personnel on the left for the second half and again Lavant dominated.

Lancing keeper Ashley Hollick pulled off a fine save from Sandford and from the resulting corner Stuart Underwood hooked Seacombe’s header off the line.

Sandford headed just over and Seacombe again was just wide six minutes later.

When a Lavant midfielder gave the ball away, Shaun Evans intercepted to make it 2-0 just after the hour.

Sandford just failed to connect with a Bartley cross but his own cross was struck home by Richard Gabb in the 74th minute to put Lavant back in the game.

The rest of the match saw Lancing’s goal under seige until the final whistle.

Boss Parker said: “I can’t criticise the players. Lancing had two chances and took them, we couldn’t convert ours.”

LAVANT: Sanson; Coe, Purgavie, Wright, Lyttle; Gabb, Stevens, Bartley, Weller; Sandford, Seacombe. Subs: Parker, Holmes, Hine.

Chapel 2 Regis Vets 2 (aet; Chapel won 5-3 on pens)

Bareham Trophy

Two well-matched teams fought out an exciting cup tie at Northchapel.

Regis took the lead through Jamie Greenhill straight after the break, but within a minute Dan Scutt equalised and the score stayed at 1-1 until full-time.

In the first minute of extra time Greenhill again put the Vets in front and they held the lead for 12 minutes before Chapel levelled through Ben Marriner.

In a penalty shootout, Stuart Brown, the Chapel keeper, became the hero when he saved the fourth penalty from the Vets and all five Chapel players scored.