Regis roaring - and Chichester beat Pagham in a thriller


News of victories for Regis 2000, Chichester City and Midhurst and Easebourne comes in our first youth football round-up of 2011.


Lancing Rangers 2 Regis 2000 3

In their first game of the year, Regis began brightly with all the early play in their opponents’ half.

Lancing forced a corner from their first spell of pressure and scored from it – with a header from an unmarked player.

The lead lasted two minutes as Billy Stevens was put through and brought down by the keeper. Ryan Barratt slotted home the penalty.

Regis took the lead, with Barratt again the scorer following a well-worked corner from Jack Parham.

In the second half, Regis remained on top with Michael Charman going close. The third followed good play between Dan Watson and Ben Haines. The ball fell to Billy Stevens who lobbed the ball over the keeper.

The home side were thwarted by a solid Regis back-line of Gonzalez, Shea, Carter and Parham. With less than a minute to go they got a second, but it was too late.

REGIS: Tribe, Gonzalez, Shea, Carter, Parham, Marland, Barratt, Watson, VanDriel, Charman, Stevens, Haines.

Chichester City 3 Pagham Youth 2

Pagham struck first when Curtis Poole was upended in the box and he picked himself up to convert the penalty, but Chichester levelled from a direct free-kick.

They took the lead from a fine header and on the stroke of half-time went further in front when they were awarded a penalty.

In the second half, both teams created chances but Pagham reduced the deficit when Karl Matthews set up Luke Vincent.

Pagham pushed for an equaliser but Chichester held on.

PAGHAM: Carter, Lane, Southerton, Gosbee, Strachan, Palmer, Poole, Edwards, Vincent, Hurford, McLinden, Matthews, C Richardson, W Richardson.


Midhurst and Easebourne 3 Predators Youth 3

A close battle between these two teams was on the cards. Both were relegated last season and previous games had been very tight.

Predators took full advantage of a slow start by Midhurst to open the scoring in the first few minutes.

Against the run of play, Sam Cain scored for Midhurst after 25 minutes. The home team started working together and Jake Burtoo scored a second five minutes later.

Just before half-time Predators made it 2-2.

Midhurst had more shots at goal in the second half but were unable to score until the 60th minute through Cain. But just as they settled into their game again, a quick attack saw Predators equalise again within the last ten minutes.

Man of the match was Aidan Largan.

MIDHURST: Thompson, Greet, Ford, Largan, Mepham, Murphy, Thornley, Burtoo, Field-Millard, Warren, Taylor, Cain.


Worthing Town Youth A 1 Midhurst & Easebourne 3

An eight-week lay-off had a positive effect on Midhurst as they gained a well-deserved Challenge Cup victory against a team well above them in the league.

Midhurst were solid in defence with Hyde and Trewin playing well and Goodwin making key saves.

Larry Moir put Midhurst ahead and in the second half they continued to play well.

Lambert was tenacious in midfield and Georgiou made it 2-0 before Moir scored his second with a cracking shot into the top corner.

Worthing scored a consolation late on but by then Midhurst were on their way to the quarter-finals.

MIDHURST: Goodwin, Hyde, Trewin, Lambert, Georgiou, Moir, Jefferies, Coulson, Goodman.