Second-time lucky for Pirates but East Dean go west

We have cup action involving Nyetimber Pirates and East Dean and a league game for Lavant in our latest round-up of local West Sussex League teams.

Friday, 14th October 2016, 8:00 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 1:49 am
Action from the Pirates' cup clash with Goring at Pagham / Picture by Roger Smith

Get involved in the coverage by sending reports to [email protected]

Nyetimber Pirates 3 Goring 1

Sussex Intermediate Cup

Pirates cruised into the second round of the cup after a second-half recovery at Nyetimber Lane.

Pirates came from behind at half-time to beat Goring CC 3-1 after the SCFA forced the first-round tie to be replayed following a rule breach in the original game, which the Pirates won 5-3 in September.

The Worthing side were unhappy with the fact the Pirates used repeated substitutions in the original game, which is allowed in the WSFL but not in the Sussex FA competitions.

Pirates did appeal against the original decision made by the governing bodies to replay the game as the referee had allowed the substitutions before realising and forced the Pirates to play the remainder of the game with ten men.

Boss Ted Griffin named a strong squad for the new game with Karl Westbrooke, Rob Linkhorn and Del Chester coming back in.

Pirates dominated much of the first half but went one down on 40 minutes with Goring’s only shot of the game when a cutting ball split the home defence.

But Pirates came out strong in the second half and hit back on 51 minutes when Westbrooke headed home at the back post from a pass from Sam Pasterfield.

The home side spurned a number of chances until captain Michael Frangou arrrived to turn a Phil Turner cross into the net on 71 minutes.

The Pirates’ defensive injury worries looked to have increased when Curtis Horn limped off.

Scott Towers finished off the game on 79 minutes, arriving at the far post to smash the ball into the roof of the net.

The win means the Pirates have now won their last 11 competitive games in all competitions and will face Billingshurst Reserves in the next round.

Broadbridge Heath Res 8 East Dean 0

Sussex Intermediate Cup

East Dean faced a side much stronger than they’re used to playing - and were well beaten.

They started brightly, keeping the opposition at bay and limiting their chances.

Broadbridge took the lead after their Callum Nash was adjudged to have been fouled by the keeper, allowing him to convert the penalty.

James Ford came close to equalising, narrowly heading over. Rob Sedgwick also went close after picking up a loose ball, but his tame header didn’t cross the line.

Broadbridge bagged their second through George Cousins after East Dean failed to clear their lines.

The second half was much different with Broadbridge dominating, scoring six more through Jahobi Maher (2), Christopher Copestake (2), Nash and Cousins.

East Dean; Ferre, Barlow, James, Bessey, Humphreys, Pett, Shewell, Richards, Sedgwick, Dray, Ford. Subs; Millard, English, Kearvell


Newtown Villa 2 Lavant 2

WSFL Premier

Lavant had to settle for a share of the spoils against one of their bogey sides, Newtown Villa.

They could have been a goal down in the opening minute and never got going in the opening half-hour, struggling to string two passes together because of the industry of the Newtown midfield trio.

Newtown didn’t have a huge number of chances but the one they got, they took. A long ball down the left-hand channel behind full-back and their busy No9 had the beating of Matt Lyttle to slot into the side netting.

Lavant finally started to test the Newtown defence and looked the more likely to score but were unable to get on level terms before the break.

In the second half Lavant started as they finished but lacked a cutting edge. Dan Baker’s volley was saved at point-blank range.

Lavant finally levelled when an Ollie Haggar corner found Lyttle at the back post to unleash a left-footed drive through the crowd and in.

Lavant were in the ascendancy until the ball was given away by Will Cieszynski on the edge of the Newtown area, leading to a decisive break.

It looked as if Lavant were going to deal with it but Jon Wright headed the centre back across goal and allowed a forward to smash home.

Lavant threw the kitchen sink at Newtown, pushing centre-half Paul Jones up top, and this paid dividends. A Haggar long throw found Jones at the near post and his flick lopped over the keeper and into the far corner.

Lavant: Court, Haggar, Jones, Lyttle, Wright, Hancock, Mclaren, Sheppard, Caveney, Sandford, Baker. Subs: Cieszynski, Augustus, Mclean.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!