Solid Chichester leave Selsey reflecting derby defeat

editorial image

Adie Girdler hailed a winning start to the new year after Chichester City won 3-1 at Selsey.

Adie Girdler hailed a winning start to the new year after Chichester City won 3-1 at Selsey.

But Blues boss Ian Martin was left to rue another case of his team playing well but ending up pointless.

Goals from captain James Ford, Michael Turvey and Callum Cutler saw Girdler’s side run out winners and left Martin bemoaning his team’s inability to convert chances, with James Parson’s late goal just a consolation.

City’s win lifted them back up to fourth in the table, while Selsey sit 17th.

Girdler was a happy man and said: “We said we wanted to start brightly because we hadn’t done anything for three weeks because of the weather and the state of the pitch.

“It was a bonus we got the early goal that settled us down. That gave us the confidence to get forward. We set the game plan out to keep them in and not let them relax – that worked well for us.

“We went out there second half and were very solid in central defence, sitting a bit deeper and just seeing if we could nick one, and we did go 3-0 up. It was a bit disappointing to concede a goal but I’d have settled for that before the game.”

Frustrated Selsey manager Martin said: “At the moment we’re creating chances but as I say week after week, we’re not taking them. We’re not a bad side but if you don’t score goals you’re not going to win games.

“There’s nothing wrong with how we’re playing and the positions we’re getting into, it’s just that final touch and putting the ball into the net.

“Inevitably there was some rustiness. Over the festive period players at this level enjoy themselves, while Premiership teams may be playing two or three games, so the first few games in January are always sluggish.”

Selsey started the brighter and with only a minute gone Stuart Souter saw his shot bounce back off the upright.

But the visitors edged ahead on eight minutes when Ford rose highest from a long Tom Broadbent free-kick.

Broadbent was called upon at the back to slide in superbly and deny Graham Bush, with the lively Ed Bowers rolling the rebound wide from a tight angle.

Michael Turvey was denied by Joyce at point-blank range as neither side stamped their authority on the game. Joe Miles and Souter both had half-chances for Selsey before Chichester made it 2-0.

Joe Briggs cut in from the right and bent in a fine left-footed cross for Turvey to head home superbly on 43 minutes.

The home side were regretting wasted chances as, just three minutes into the second half, Callum Cutler made it 3-0.

There was space for Broadbent to weave through and shoot just wide, but Selsey managed only attempted lobs by Bowers and Souter that were off-target.

Turvey was again thwarted by Joyce at one end, while Callum Britton had a golden opportunity for Selsey at the other, fluffing his lines when well-placed after Shortt had spilled Bowers’ effort.

With less than ten minutes to go James Searle rolled his shot the wrong side of the post after young substitute Luke Killner unselfishly played him in.

Selsey sparked into life late on as Bowers rounded the keeper but couldn’t find a team-mate, Souter swerved a fierce effort just over and Bush shot wide.

In the last minute of normal time, Bush’s low cross found Parsons to score at the far post.

This Saturday, Chichester host Sidley while Selsey entertain Crowborough.