Youth football: Boss wanted a 20-0 win - but it ended 24-0

editorial image

A goal glut for Predators, a cup triumph for Chichester City under-11s and action involving Chichester City Colts, Pagham and Arundel all feature in this week’s youth football round-up.


Highdown Saints Colts 0 Predators Youth 24

With the Predators manager away the lads travelled to face Highdown Saints hoping to do him proud. And they ended up doing a bit more than that.

Within the first ten minutes Irish opened the scoring. Highdown found themselves ball-watching and Irish soon found the goal again – and it wasn’t long before he had hit another four, followed by a tirade of goals by Josling (3), Davies, Birch, Williams, a penalty and an own goal, making the half-time score 13-0 to Predators.

Text messages to the manager sparked a reply that he wanted them to hit 20.

The second half was a mirror image of the first with Predators not letting Highdown get anywhere near the ball.

Even with a massive lead Predators didn’t let this stop them playing.

Josling hit another three, Irish four, Birch two and Furlong two.

The final score of 24-0 surpassed their previous highest score of 13 with Josling and Irish battling to finish as top scorer.

Stand-in manager Mark Irish named the whole team as man of the match.

PREDATORS: Josling, Irish, Blackman, Williams, Bosco-Brown, Jukes, Cook, Davies, Birch, Furlong, Rodway.


Chichester City 3 Felpham Colts 0

Chichester City’s under-11s (pictured at the top of the article) won the Challenge Cup final 3-0 at Arundel.

The game began at a very fast pace and Chichester were determined to avoid a repeat of last year’s final when Felpham scored in extra-time to win.

Ten minutes in Luke Hotchkiss pushed a perfect ball through to Alex Pendle to score Chichester’s first goal.

A second came just before half-time with a blistering left-foot shot from Hayden Overington.

Felpham came out strong in the second half but the back-line, from goalie Freddie Dempster to the defence of Marcus Blake, Harry Wynne, Harry Agostinelli, Lloyd Coote and Adam Farley, stood strong.

The commanding midfield of Will Gilbert, Leo Stallard, Alex Fitzgerald and Tom Strohacker kept possession.

With 11 minutes to go Stallard pushed the ball back to Will Gilbert on the 18-yard box and he thundered the ball into the top corner for Chichester’s third.


Pagham Youth 0 Lancing Rangers 2

Despite the 2-0 reverse, this was almost certainly one of Pagham’s finest performances of the season as a depleted side made Lancing battle all the way.

Pagham had ten available players with only eight of them 100 per cent fit but played adventurous football.

It was goalless at half-time and in the second half Pagham soaked up Lancing’s pressure while still pressing for a goal with Rory Wood up front.

The deadlock was broken as Lancing’s impressive winger scored from long range.

For Pagham Matt Taunton twice went close and Joe Hurford’s shot brought a fine save out of the keeper.

Pagham’s legs started to tire and Lancing grabbed their second towards the end.

Pagham’s manager Dave Lane was very proud of their performance.

PAGHAM: Carter, W Richardson, C Richardson, Gosbee, Hurford, Poole, Game, Lane, Taunton, Wood.

Pagham Colts 0 Arundel Colts 2

Pagham began well with good passing and moving. Johan VanDriel, Dan Gonzalez, Ben Haines and Jack Parham saw plenty of the ball as the visitors were pegged back, relying on the odd breakaway, from which they looked threatening.

Midway through the half an Arundel counter-attack resulted in the opening goal. A similar pattern followed in the second half and Pagham seemed to lack a cutting edge.

Arundel doubled their lead from another quick counter-attack. The home side tried to claw their way back into it with VanDriel at the heart of their play.

Lewis Tribe made two saves to prevent Arundel from increasing the lead.

PAGHAM COLTS: Tribe, Marland, Shea, Barratt, Carter, Haines, VanDriel, Gonzalez, Parham, Stevens, Kitchener, Clarke.


Lancing United Youth 2 Chichester City Colts 3

The Colts secured their fourth win in eight games and made sure of A league football with a gutsy win.

The hosts gave the Colts early worries before a Jack Graham corner was turned into his own net by a Lancing player. But Lancing were quickly level.

George Cody produced a delicate lob to regain the lead for the Colts - though as before the lead didn’t last long and the hosts equalised again before half-time.

The second half saw Cody and Graham go close before Humphreys made a great save to keep the scores level. Then a great turn and finish from Graham gave the Colts the lead, which they held.

CHI CITY: Humphreys, Stremes, Smith, Smyth, White, Trinder, Reedman, Gilyead, Graham, Cheeseman, Cody, Herrington, Collins.


Lancing Rangers 0 Predators 4

The first half was deadlocked but after the break Predators upped their game.

Midway through the second half they took the lead as Alex Burford tapped home from two yards when he followed up Sean Donner’s shot.

Ashley Butler lobbed the keeper from the edge of the box before Brandon Williams made the game safe with a powerful drive to the bottom corner.

With five minutes to go Fabien Koszkalo scored his first goal for the club, controlling a cross on his chest then volleying in from the edge of the area.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Burford, Butler, Donner, Elliot, Evans, Hamilton, Hanslip, Koszkalo, McCabe, Sanctuary, Smith, Williams.


Chichester City Colts 3 Predators 1

Chichester had numerous chances and in-form Jake O’Brennan scored a magical volley to give them a half-time lead.

O’Brennan went on to score his second before Predators clawed one back through scrappy defending.

Paddy McGreal lobbed the ball forward and Tom Davy scored a lovely strike from 20 yards out to make the game safe.

Man of the match was Davy ahead of O’Brennan.

COLTS: Briant, Wilson, McGreal, O’Brennan, Durmush, Warrington, Hawkins, Osmend, Davy, Lewis.