Youth football: Chichester lads can look forward to cup final

Chichester City under-18s - successful in their cup semi-final
Chichester City under-18s - successful in their cup semi-final

There’s action involving Chichester City sides, Barnham Trojans, Whyke United, Predators, Bognor Regis Town and Avisford Youth in our latest youth football digest.


Little Common 2 Chichester City 2 (Chi win 3-2 aet)

Sussex Youth League Cup semi-final

TEN-MAN Chichester won their semi-final in extra-time.

It started out looking like a comfortable win - but ended up anything but.

City were soon in control and went in front when Jimmy Wild struck a 20-yard volley past the stranded Little Common keeper.

Matt Boulton put Chi 2-0 up and firmly in charge. However when Chi were awarded a penalty after Wild was brought down by the keeper and Jono Tallent missed the resulting spot kick, it gave the home team a boost.

Just before the break Chi lost captain Boulton with a groin problem.

The second half started with Chi in control but they could not put the tie to bed. Sub Joe Gromett was put through on a handful of occasions only to be thwarted each time by fine saves.

A hopeful ball forward was missed by Chi’s defence and that put through a Little Common striker who scored to bring them back into the game. Chi steadied themselves and adopted a more defensive formation - but Little Common were awarded a penalty in time added on and scored with the last kick.

Chi had used all their subs and had a number of players struggling with knocks. But they battled on and were rewarded with a goal when Gromett pounced on a fumbled ball from the keeper to place the ball into the net in the first period of extra time.

City had the ball was in the net again but the referee decided to disallow the goal.

Chi had James Knowles sent off, which meant they had to play the remaining 20 minutes with ten men. Many were reduced to walking wounded by theend but they held out for a well-deserved victory. They’ll play Hassocks in the final.

CHICHESTER: McAlpine, Gilbert, Boulton (Lynch), Lillywhite, Knowles, Chittock (Gromett), Yates, Tallent, Ansa, Wild (Osman), Mulenga.

Chichester City Colts 3 Barnham Trojans 1

Colts enjoyed a hard-fought home win against their league bogey side, securing the result in the final ten minutes.

In a match interrupted by a hailstorm and some over-fussy refereeing, neither team settled.

A chance for Colts after just 30 seconds for Jack Gallop was smothered by the Barnham defence. Colts eventually went 1-0 up through Jacob West, who finished off a smart move started by Gallop.

Despite constant pressure, they could not add any more during the first half, the only additional score being Barnham’s fine equaliser from an extremely well-hit free-kick that Colts stand-in keeper Charlie Dodd could not palm away.

The game was delayed for ten minutes as the referee took the players off the pitch during the hailstorm.

The second half saw Colts finally make their pressure felt as Barnham tired when Joe Dennis ran through from the middle of the defence to latch on to Nabil Choudhury’s beautifully-weighted through-ball to score off the keeper’s body.

Barnham had another blistering free-kick well saved by Dodd but Colts finally made it 3-1 when West ran on to another through-ball by Gallop to score in off the far post.

COLTS: Dodd, W Richardson, Dennis, Fudge, C Richardson, Corell, Porter, McLaughlin, Gallop, West, Cane, Sogbesan, Choudhury, Russell.


Whyke United 1 Predators Youth 1

The game kicked off as a heavy hailstorm hit the ground, which forced the referee to briefly halt the game.

Straight from the restart Whyke swept forward and scored. Predators were defending desperately and man of the match Josh Simmonds had to make several last-ditch tackles to prevent them being overrun.

Predators came back into it, helped by the sending-off of a Whyke defender, and Alex Burford equalised before the break.

In the second half, a minor altercation was exacerbated by several spectators encroaching on the pitch and verbally abusing the referee. Club officials said those involved needed to reflect on their behaviour and the example they were setting to the players. Order was restored with the sending-off of both players involved in the incident.

In the closing minutes, Whyke were awarded a penalty which was brilliantly saved by Connor Fellows. The draw leaves Predators still needing another point to win B division.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Brayfield, Burford, Clarke, Daniels, Donner, Hamilton, Hanslip, Humphries, Simmonds, Smith.


Barnham Trojans Blue 3 East Preston 2

Barnham Trojans Blue are successfully through to another Challenge Cup final after a very hard-fought game against East Preston.

Barnham started brightly and were soon in front after George Roberts was brought down by the East Preston keeper and got up to score the penalty.

The goal shook East Preston, who came back at Barnham with two quick goals. Just before half-time Barnham were awarded a free-kick which was floated into the box by Charlie Williamson and flicked on by George Griffiths to make the half time score 2-2.

The second half was fiercely contested but five minutes from the end, Danny Sadler scored the decisive goal by meeting a well-taken corner to head home the ball in the top corner.

The final is on March 30 at Arundel FC against Rustington Otters.


Chichester Colts 2 Barnham Trojans 0

Chichester Colts played superbly to beat leaders Barnham Trojans. Taylor Mouland wore the captain’s band and did a fantastic job.

Play was fast and aggressive from the start and early on, Sam Williams got his hands on the ball and kicked a superb ball to Mouland up front. Mouland quickly got the ball under control with a couple flicks and slid it past the goalie.

Barnham kept the pressure on the Colts defence, who were rock solid.

In the second half, the midfield did their job very well and got back to defend when necessary as well as keeping up the attack.

In the final minutes of the game, Mouland brought the ball up the right and crossed beautifully for a headed second goal by Toby Watkins.

Williams didn’t put a foot or hand wrong and kept a clean sheet against an excellent side.


Bognor Regis Town 3 Chichester City Colts White 1

Chichester started brightly but the Bognor goalkeeper Thomas Fearns made some great saves. A Hayden Thelwell corner was headed in by Woody Gilbert-Jones to make it 1-0 to Bognor.

Chichester hit back quickly to make it 1-1 but a penalty to Bognor was put away by Bruce Eggleton, making it 2-1.

In the second half, Bognor pushed forward and created several chances before Hayden made it 3-1.

These sides meet again in the Challenge Cup final at Arundel in April.

Bognor Regis Town 9 Lancing United Youth Green 0

Bognor controlled the game from the start with both Bradley Stroud and Ben Taylor getting hat-tricks, Dawid Kitowski scoring two, with one from Woody Gilbert-Jones.


Avisford Youth 2 Rustington Otters Green 2

A thrilling game at Rose Green ended with honours even as Avisford were agonisingly denied their first league victory of the season.

The Otters started the stronger but Avisford keeper Jake Longley was rarely troubled in the opening stages.

The home side took control with a quickfire double. Otters goalkeeper Albie Latter’s clearance fell at the feet of Finlay Brian and the Avisford captain’s 30-yard lob sailed over Latter’s head to hand Brian his second goal of the season.

A minute later Avisford were in dreamland as Brian’s cross-shot was parried out by Latter into the path of Sammy Copeland, who tucked home from close range.

The black and whites nearly had a third before the break, but Latter somehow held on to Copeland’s shot to stop it squirming over the line as Avisford went into half-time with a morale-boosting and unfamiliar lead.

Rustington came out for the second half with intent and got an immediate reward as poor marking let in Harry Carwithen to slot past Longley and bring the Otters back into it.

Rustington went for the equaliser and just as Avisford looked like they had weathered the storm and gained that elusive first win, the home defence couldn’t clear a last-ditch Rustington attack. The ball bounced kindly for Jack Payne, whose volley just beat the dive of Longley to break Avisford hearts.

Avisford man of the match was Damian Wasowski

AVISFORD: Longley, Nowak, Greene, Jones, Brian, Wasowski Copeland. Sub: Kill.