Youth football: Summerley in seventh heaven - and first place

Victories for Summerley Park Rangers, Chichester City Youth, Felpham Colts, Barnham Trojans Red, Chichester City Colts and Selsey Seals all feature in our latest youth football round-up.

Get involved by sending your reports to - we need them by 5pm Monday to include them the same week. Send a team picture too.


Summerley Park Rangers 7 Highdown Saints Youth 0

Summerley continued their impressive start to the season with a comfortable victory against Highdown Saints.

Both teams started strongly with a Saints forward forcing a superb early save from Sargeant. This seemed to spur on the home team and after 15 minutes, after a sustained spell of pressure, Millard connected with a Hawker corner to head home Summerley’s opener.

This seemed to open the floodgates with two further goals from Mepham, one of which was a left-footed screamer from the edge of the box after dropping his shoulder and leaving the Highdown defender wrong footed.

The second half continued in the same vein with Mepham scoring two more with assists from Terry and Crouch and completing yet another hat-trick.

The midfield trio of Ashmore, Millard and man of the match Kilhams were passing the ball around for fun and creating chance after chance for the Summerley strikers.

Worsley led a defence that was never really troubled and also contributed a well-taken headed goal from a Rafferty corner.

Just before the end Hand slotted home Summerley’s seventh goal after an accurate pass from Tilley-Griffen.

The win puts Summerley top of A division having scored 19 goals in their first four games.

SUMMERLEY: Sargeant, Terry, Hawker, Song, Worsley, Kilhams, Ashmore, Millard, Rafferty, Tilley-Griffin, Hand, Mepham, Crouch.


Bognor Town Youth 2 Chichester City Youth 4

City took the lead within two minutes, Zac Moy cutting in from the left and seeing his shot curl round the keeper from the edge of the area.

Chichester started the second half well and scored an early goal from George Cody, who also cut in from the left wing and scored from outside the box, his shot going in off the post.

Bognor replied quickly, Ceri Marsh slotting the ball past Dan McDonald in the City goal. Moy got his second by running across the face of the goal to shoot back past the keeper.

Marsh’s second made it 3-2 and Bognor piled on the pressure but man of the match James Amos stayed strong at the back to cut out several Bognor attacks.

Collins Alfred’s goal wrapped it for Chichester.

CITY: Mcdonald, Frampton, Hutchings, East, Amos, Scutt, Yeo, Cody, Turner, Shaw, Alfred, Dry, Culver, Moy.


Felpham Colts Athletic 5 Bourne Sports 1

Champions Bourne Sports came to Felpham looking for three points but Felpham made it three wins in three.

A second-half hat-trick from Ben Riley and two from Harry Salt sealed the win.

The first half was goalless but a second half dominated by Felpham in midfield proved too much for Bourne.

Felpham’s passing game saw Bourne chasing shadows and fine finishing from the two strikers gave Felpham a deserved victory.

The opening goal came from a sensational through-ball by Jack Freeburn. That set the tone with some lovely balls played through the Bourne defence for the two strikers to latch on to.

Barnham Trojans Red 6 Predators Youth 2

Barnham surged forward as Predators struggled to get going. The pressure told as Predators conceded three soft goals from defensive mistakes, but they hit back with a fantastic long-range shot from Jordan Smith.

Soon Brandon Williams made a strong run down the wing, cut inside and slid the ball under the keeper.

Ashley Butler forced a good save from the keeper but, as Predators pushed forward, their lack of pace at the back was exposed again when Barnham scored a breakaway goal.

Alfie Daniels had to go off injured and his hard tackling and strong runs were missed as Barnham forced in two further goals to complete a convincing victory.

Predators were left to rue their poor start.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Burford, Butler, Clarke, Daniels, Donner, Elliot, Hamilton, Hanslip, Humphries, Sanctuary, Smith, Williams.


Chichester City Youth 4 Worthing Minors Ath 2

Chichester put aside their county cup setback from the previous week and were deserving winners of this league game. They controlled the first half, with three goals coming in the first 15 minutes.

Josh Airton scored the first from a poor goal-kick. Minutes later Chichester were 2-0 up with an excellent through-ball from Jay Clarke which was well put away by Airton.

Alexander Smith scored the third with a work-worked goal.

Chichester’s defence never looked troubled and they could have gone further ahead.

Slightly against the run of play Worthing pulled a goal back with a well-taken strike from outside the area.

They made it 3-2 after the restart in a goalmouth scramble.

Chichester made changes in midfield and gradually started to control the game again. Oliver Stonefrost and Josh Cheeseman hit the woodwork.

Through a deflection from a corner, Chichester moved back into a two-goal lead which they held.

CHICHESTER: Knight, Conway, Burden, Hall, Hubbard, Cheeseman, Clarke, Thorp, Smith, Stonefrost, Airton.


Angmering Youth 0 Chichester City Colts 6

Chichester City Colts were up against a well-drilled Angmering side but broke the deadlock after 17 minutes.

The Colts scored two more before half-time to make it 3-0 and carried on in the same manner and made it 6-0 at the final whistle. It could have been more but the Angmering keeper was in fine form.

Jake O’Brennan scored a hat-trick, Owen Moore chipped in with one and Rhys Rawlings scored two and contributed three assists to be named man of the match.

CHI CITY: Briant, Wilson, McGreal, Wells, O’Brennan, Moore, Rawlings, Johnson.


Felpham Colts Rangers 2 Avisford Youth 0

Avisford’s 100 per cent start came to an end at the hands of Felpham in this competitive top-of-the-table clash at Shrubbs Field.

Avisford’s Matt Kill had two opportunities to give his team a deserved lead, but was foiled both times by impressive goalkeeping.

Midway through the half a handball in the penalty area gave Avisford another chance to open the scoring. Jordan Wawrezewsia’s spot-kick was struck well, but another fantastic save by the Rangers keeper kept it goalless.

Tactical changes at the start of the second half by Felpham manager Mike Cannings swung the game in the home side’s favour, and five minutes into the restart a corner swung in from the left was met by a powerful header that left Avisford keeper Layton Cummings with little chance.

As Avisford pressed for an equaliser, Rangers got the decisive goal eight minutes from time, taking advantage of a goalmouth scramble to seal the three points.

Felpham extend their lead at the top of D division to three points.

Man of the match was Alex Jones.

AVISFORD: Cummings, Jones, Longley, Wawrezewsia, Brian, Copeland, Kill. Subs: Nowak, Francis, Green.

Selsey Seals 4 Worthing Youth 1

Selsey Seals claimed their first points for the season from a deserved win against spirited Worthing.

The first goal came after an excellent run and shot from Grocott. The keeper made an excellent save, but Ayling reacted fastest to toe-poke home.

A free-kick awarded just inside the half should have seen Selsey go further ahead with a well-worked free-kick resulting in a fine strike from Grocott, whose shot went through a hole in the net and was ruled out.

The second came from an excellent one-touch passing between Montague and Grocott, ending with space for Montague to strike the ball into the bottom corner.

Worthing pulled one back with a fine strike giving Jones no chance.

Selsey restored their two-goal lead as Montague got his second with a drive into the bottom corner. A fourth soon followed from Luke.

MoM could have been anyone but Montague shaded it with a devastating display of passing and shooting.

Selsey Seals under-nines train every Saturday at 9am and are always looking for keen and enthusiastic players to join. Contact Paul if you are interested in coming training on 07918 127407.