Youth football: Under-18s celebrate perfect end to season

Joe Dennis heads the goal that won the title for Chichester City Colts under-18s
Joe Dennis heads the goal that won the title for Chichester City Colts under-18s

It’s that time of year when the football league title trophies and cups are shared out - and teams across the Observer patch are winning their fair share.

Read about the latest successes here, and get involved by sending us reports and pictures of your team’s triumph. Email


Chichester City Youth 8 Wick & Barnham 0

Chichester City rounded off their title-winning season with a 100 per cent winning record in the league.

The weather did its best to put a dampener on things with heavy rain but the Chi youngsters were not going to let anything spoil their day.

From the start, Chi put pressure on Wick and almost scored with their first attack.

They did not have to wait long for the deadlock to be broken as Johan Vandriel scored. A second came shortly after from the head of Jonathan Tallent.

Vandriel was seeing a lot of the ball and was rewarded with his second, which saw them go into the break 3-0 up.

After the break, Jimmy Wild got on the scoresheet after causing havoc down the left.

A string of substitutions saw fresh legs on for Chi in the shape of Romeo Mulenga up front, Rayan Osman in midfield and Tom Shrives at the back.

The onslaught continued and Tallent got his second and Vandriel his third. There was still time enough for Mulenga to score, while a long-range strike from Jordan Lillywhite made it 8-0.

After the game the celebrations continued as the squad were presented with their west-division trophy and medals. Their final league record was 18 wins from 18 games, with 70 goals scored and only 12 conceded.

They face east-division champions Eastbourne United in the champion of champions play-off this Sunday at Eastbourne. The winners of this will play away to central-division champions Hassocks on May 11.

Chi would love to end their fantastic season in style by retaining the champions of champions title.

CITY: McAlpine, Gilbert, Lynch, Lillywhite, Knowles (Shrives), Chittock (Osman), Yates, Tallent, Wild, Vandriel, Gromett (Mulenga).

Horsham Sparrows 1 Chichester City Colts 2

Colts snatched the under-18A league title away from the previous leaders Roffey.

Colts welcomed back captain Joe Dennis, who started on the bench.

It was end to end stuff on a boggy pitch and Chi struck first on the half-hour when James Porter’s determination on the left wing to out-muscle four Horsham defenders gave striker Jack Gallop the chance of a right-foot shot that sneaked in between the keeper and the post.

Horsham began to take control of midfield, while the Colts found it difficult to cope with Horsham’s corners.

Horsham equalised just before half-time when a corner was headed in at the back post.

Colt made two changes at half-time to try to re-establish control.

Twenty minutes from time sub Dennis got the goal with a diving header from Max McLaughlin’s well-placed corner.

Colts’ keeper Alex Dodsworth kept them in the lead with a fantastic save as Horsham pressed, and right-back Will Richardson made a goal-saving block with ten minutes to go.

Colts had one final chance to extend their lead when a Gallop cross was cut out just as Chaz Richardson was waiting to put the ball into an empty net.

After the whistle, Colts were presented with their trophy and medals and were congratulated by the Roffey management team.

COLTS: Dodsworth, W Richardson, Corell, Dodd, Fudge, Porter, Cane, C Richardson, McLaughlin, West, Gallop, Dennis, Sogbesan. (Russell and Choudhury not present).


AFTER what seems like a lifetime of waiting to manager Phil Hall and coaches Paul Gardner and Mick Keane, Felpham Colts have won the Arun and Chichester Youth League C division.

A long season badly disrupted by waterlogged pitches ended with Felpham clinching the title after beating Chichester City Colts Red 5-3 in the final match of the season. They lost only one game all season - against Fernhurst - and won 11 games of 15 played.

Colts had a successful year all round, also making it to the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup, in which they lost to Rustington Otters after beating Worthing Minors Athletic in the quarter-finals. Minors were joint top of the B Division.

Max Daniels and Ben Gardner were a force to be reckoned with up front and scored 33 goals between them with Daniels scoring 17 goals in 12 league games, Gardner 16 in 13. They were supported by goals from midfield scored by Harry Hall, Myles Embleton, Ollie Steadman, Jordan Crane and Charlie Bizzell.

Felpham hadg the best defensive record, letting in only 19 goals. Dennis Barrett in goal, Harry Keane (captain), Joe Ward, Josh Hayler, Reece Barnett and Joe Sadler have proved difficult for the other teams to break down.

The Colts’ awards evening is in May, when they will be formally presented with the league trophy.

Pictured: Back row L - R Max Daniels, Myles Embleton, Ben Gardner, Jon Shepherd, Phil Hall (manager), Josh Hayler, Harry Keane (Captain), Joe Ward, Charlie Bizzell, Jordan Crane, Harry Hall; Front row L - R Josh Bates, Ollie Steadman, Dennis Barrett, Reece Barnett, Joe Sadler - not pictured, Keiran Sutherland


Chichester City Colts White 3 Bognor Regis Town Youth 3

For the third and final time this season, the Colts faced cup winners Bognor. After losing in the cup final two weeks ago, the Colts seemed to be up for revenge in this game, but Bognor struck first.

Bognor doubled their lead when poor marking from a corner gifted them a goal. The Colts never let their heads drop and Ryan Johnson scored on 23 minutes to give the Colts hope. Bognor scored again to make it 3-1 at half-time.

The Colts knew no team had done the double over them all season, and seemed determined not to let that record go.

Jack Tilbury scored after 40 minutes with a cool finish and netted again to make it 3-3.

Louie Stone and Owen Moore were the men of the match and Paddy McGreal, who came on a half-time, put in a tremendous display of defending.

CHI COLTS: Briant, Wells, Moore, Wilson, McGreal, Tilbury, Stone, Rawlings, O’Brennan, Johnson and Scott.


Felpham Colts Rangers 1 Avisford Youth 4

Avisford broke their duck in the final game of the season as they defeated Felpham at Shrubbs Field.

Felpham had the first chance when Lewis Scott’s shot was tipped round the post by Jake Longley.

After ten minutes Avisford went aheadl. Good passing between Alfie Greene and Damien Wasowski released Sammy Copeland, who fired his shot low into the bottom corner past Felpham keeper Leo Campbell.

Slack Avisford defending allowed Scott to put Rangers back on level terms.

But Avisford didn’t let the goal affect them, and just before half-time took a deserved lead. Captain Finlay Brian’s corner was touched home from six yards by winger Wasowski for his first ever goal for the club.

Felpham had a dominant spell but a heroic rearguard action and several crucial saves by Longley kept Avisford in the lead.

An Avisford breakaway saw Copeland volley home the third.

In the final minute, a brilliant mazy run and shot by Brian was touched on to the post by Campbell, and the ball was eventually turned home by substitute Matt Kill to spark celebrations for Avisford.

AVISFORD: Longley, Nowak, Greene, Brian, Jones, Wasowski, Copeland. Sub: Kill.