7-0 half-time lead wasn’t good enough for the Cherubs - so they hit another ten

Eastbourne Kestrels 0 Chichester Cherubs 17

Chichester Cherubs restarted their campaign after the Christmas break by securing a 17-0 win away to Eastbourne Kestrels - the highest-ever score in the history of the Sussex Development League.

The side were in relaxed mood and in a settled team, everyone knows the job assigned to them.

As ever in the first half, Adams drove the side forward from midfield – beating a strong Eastbourne keeper four times in the first half once O’Dell had opened the scoring with a rasping drive.

The only low point in the first half was the failure to convert the first penalty stroke Chichester had been awarded this season with the ball sailing high and wide.

The disappointment was shortlived with a superbly-worked corner seeing the Eastbourne defence wrongfooted and Futcher convert. At half-time Chichester were seven goals to the good.

The challenge was for the team to do better in the second half, recognising the game was already won.

After early goals, various positional changes saw the scoreboard slow for a period before Chichester upped the tempo to finish the game strongly.

The second half saw hat-tricks for both Futcher and Charlie Gibbons. The champagne moment, though, was a drive into the D by Lowther, with his stinging shot pinging out off the crossbar having beaten the keeper.

Chichester eventually ran out 17-0 winners with the goals going to Adams (5), Futcher (4), Charlie Gibbons (3), Gleeson, Lowther, Louis Gibbons and Clarke.

The man of the match was skipper George Neame for his tireless work both in defence and in getting forward to support his midfield.

With their goal difference boosted Chichester remain top of the table - but with tougher challenges ahead.

CHICHESTER: Donaldson, Gleeson T, Clarke, Neame, Gleeson J, Gibbons R, Adams, Futcher, Gibbons C, O’Dell, Lowther, Holden, Gibbons L.

Centurions 0 Hailsham 1

Ladies’ Sussex Plate

Both sides wanted to win and the game started at a fast and furious pace.

Thew had a shot within five minutes but a quick break from Hailsham saw them go ahead.

Centurions’ defence worked hard, but Williams having to retire injured following an important tackle. Good kick outs from Richardson put Centurions back on the attack.

Hurford and Brooker combined well to take the ball to the D, and despite being marked out, Thew had further shots on goal. Brown, having saved off the line, had a good clear run with the ball, but was denied access to the D.

The second half saw a determined Centurions press for that elusive equaliser. They forced several short corners but this pressure could not get past the Hailsham defence.

Pordage created some good one-twos with Thew, and Dixon’s deflections from challenges enabled the ball to stay in the Hailsham D.

Proctor tackled strongly and created shots, but none found the goal.

Hailsham attacked but Merrett was quick to get back to defend. Sleet’s important stops frustrated the opposition and Harris intercepted several goal-bound balls.

Edge cleared strongly and Skinner received the ball on the right, cutting into the D passing to Thew.

After a scramble the ball came back to Skinner, who shot at goal, and the deflected save was put agonisingly wide by Proctor.

A final attack from Centurions resulted in one last corner, but it was not to be.

CENTURIONS: L Proctor, D Brown, N Edge, L Hurford, D Brooker, N Williams, A Pordage, L Thew, L Harris, E Dixon, A Richardson, A Skinner, H Sleet, E Merrett.