Golf: Ladies lead the glory bid at Selsey

Sharron Williams and Rita Green, first and second in the President's Prize at Selsey
Sharron Williams and Rita Green, first and second in the President's Prize at Selsey

It’s been a hectic time for the ladies at Selsey Golf Club.

The second round of the King Farlow was won by Beverly Guest and the runner-up was Eddie Williamson.

The scores of both rounds were then added together and only one point separated the leaders. Eddie’s nett 162 made her the overall winner and Beverly Guest (163) was second.

The Marlene Briance Trophy.was played over nine holes. Marlene, lady captain in 1980-81, attended the tea and presented her trophy to the winning pair, Sharron Williams and Graham Watson. Rita Green and David White were the runners-up.

The McGlasham Cup involved ladies who had qualifed by winning or coming second in competitions during the year. Ten ladies featured and the winner was Hilary Kennedy-Cooke, and second was Sylvia Carter. Again only one point separated the leaders.

The President’s Prize was won by Sharron Williams. Rita Green came second. Estee Lauder perfume and body cream were the very generous prizes presented by Clive Cockayne on behalf of president Keith Homer.

A 14-hole Stableford allowed ladies who usually play nine holes to take part. It was a good day and the winner was Rita Green, with Judy Sharpe coming second.

The ladies’ last competition in September was the MacMillan donation Stableford. This was won by Beverley Guest with 34 points and Barbara Winter was runner-up with 33.

Selsey veterans held a presentation for competitions played in the previous six weeks.

The main competition of late has been the veterans’ championship, played over 36 holes. The overall winner was Jeff Wootton, winning with a gross score of 162, 84 and 78.

The cup was presented to Wootton by the veteran’s captain Bobby Moore.

The summer doubles was played as a knockout over the summer season. The weather has been very kind and the matches were played on time – and on a course which has been in good condition.

The winners were Tony Terry and Brian Rainer and the cup and prizes were presented by Bobby Moore.


Cowdray Park seniors joined forces with the ladies’ section for their annual team better-ball competition, with two men teaming up with two ladies and the best three from four scores to count on each hole.

There were storm-force winds, squally showers, some sunshine and thunder, but all managed to battle to the finish.

There were a few late withdrawals, which led to some three-ball groups, and it was decided to award a prize to the group which achieved the best score, which was David Laver, Alan Godfree and Polly Davenport.

Second group out, featuring Peter Burton, Colin Tebbutt, ladies’ vice-captain Marilyn Davis and Joyce Fanshawe, returned an unbeatable score of 103, and they were presented with prizes by seniors’ captain Brian Brockhurst.

Claiming second place on countback were John Blockey, John Durrell, Wendy Street and Tessa Stockwell with 99 points, having started at the tenth hole.

The unlucky group who lost on countback were David Gaff, Tony Castley, Janet Poat and Pat Wallace, who were unfortunate when Gaff’s final putt teetered on the edge of the hole, and, despite the strong winds, refused to topple in.

After the excellent dinner, ladies’ captain Ann Tyrrell introduced a representative from the British Heart Foundation to explain the implications of the defibrillator which has now been fitted at the Cowdray Park.

The winner of the Cowdray Park seniors’ monthly Stableford – for the first time this year – was Phil Harrison, who teed off in the fourth group and recorded the day’s highest score, an impressive 41 points, and also claimed a share of the twos.

Ken Marjoram submitted what turned out to be the second best score of the day, 39 on countback. Both players therefore confirmed their places in the seniors’ Champions’ Trophy next month.

In division two, early starters Clive Brine and Tony Castley, playing alongside each other, took the honours with 38 and 37 points respectively, their best competitive scores of the year, to earn their places in the trophy.

Shot of the day came from captain Brian Brockhurst, who holed his second shot on the difficult par-four 16th, replicating Pat Harrison’s achievement earlier in the year. A sum of £154 was raised for Prostate Cancer Relief thanks to the efforts of Graham Sutton and John Kitchener.

Cowdray Park Seniors visited Ham Manor for their return fixture, but the result followed the pattern of recent results, with Cowdray losing by one point yet again, going down 3½-2½.

Early groups played in steady rain for about an hour before the sun broke through on a course presented in excellent condition.

Cowdray struggled a little with the fast but unpredictable greens, yet lead pair of Sam Howes and Jan de Vries managed to stay on level terms with their hosts for much of their match, never being more than one down at any stage.

With the match all square coming down the 18th fairway, the captains decided to do the honourable thing and shake hands and call it a half.

A win for the home side in match two was equalised by David Tilley and Trevor Edwards before Ham Manor turned the screw with two wins. The final match went the way of the visitors courtesy of the strong pairing of Peter Hallt and Ken Marjoram.

Results (Cowdray names first): Sam Howes & Jan de Vries halved with John Barr & Gerry Casey; Brian Carpenter & Dave Darby lost to Wayne Donaldson & Jim Miller 3&2; David Tilley & Trevor Edwards beat Bob Hutchings & Steve Tellyn 2up; Roy Penrose & Eric Bounton lost to John Strange & Brian Good 5&4; Terry Adsett & Mike Holden lost to Steve Mountain & David Fraser 3&2; Peter Hallt & Ken Marjoram beat David Galley & Tim Ranger 4&2.

Cowdray seniors travelled to the traditional venue of Corhampton for the final match of their long season. So fine was the weather that some players turned out in shorts instead of waterproofs.

The course was in excellent condition and the visitors set off with considerable optimism.

Those hopes were quickly endorsed when match manager Wally Mitchell and David Tilley set off at a blistering pace, going four up after six holes. But they were unable to sustain that pace and gradually Corhampton’s captain, Mike Pack, and partner Colin Beames began to whittle away at this deficit to such good effect that eventually they ran out winners by 2&1.

A similar fate befell the second group of Cowdray’s John Doran and Colin Tebbutt, who were two up at the turn but again the home side turned the tide to win by 3&1.

It took the consistent David Heard and partner Trevor Edwards to steady the ship, winning by one up. Further success followed for the visitors with John Smith, playing his last fixture before taking a six-month sabbatical in Australia, partnered by David Wickham, recording a victory by one up.

The match was evenly balanced at 2-2 but Corhampton burst into life again and went on to win the final four matches to run out comfortable winners by 6-2.

Results: Wally Mitchell & David Tilley lost to Mike Pack & Colin Beames 2&1; John Doran & Colin Tebbutt lost to Chris Garrod & Barry Painter 3&1; David Heard & Trevor Edwards beat Mickey Barber & George Angas 1up; John Smith & David Wickham beat Bob Peacock & Dave Massey 1up; Ken Marjoram & Mike King lost to Keith Waldron & Keith Norman 4&3; George Crouch & Mike Cardiff lost to Tony Hall & Frank Glasspool 5&3; Terry Jasper & Bill Brownlee lost to Dave Western & Alan Harnden 4&2; Roger Poat & Graham Evans lost to Glyn Walker & Ray Hartley 2&1.