Golf: Sussex girls master conditions at Bognor

Some of the Sussex girls who competed at Bognor
Some of the Sussex girls who competed at Bognor
  • Top county girls headline hectic week at Bognor
  • Fitting winner to Chichester’s Founders Trophy
  • Ultimate pairs is a hit at Cowdray Park

In one of the busiest weeks in Bognor’s history, seven competitions were played by members and visitors.

Bognor were proud to be asked to hold the inaugural Sussex girls’ masters championship, an event to be played annually and included in the order of merit tournaments throughout the year.

This event attracted players from 11 clubs around the county, including Bognor’s own Megan Tinson and Katie Field, all hoping to win the new pink jumper and the trophy donated by Bognor members Norman Lee and Robert Holland.

It also attracted several sponsors who were all keen to support the girls.

Wet and windy conditions caused all but Megan Edwards (Worthing) to struggle on the front nine. The back nine, normally harder, yielded better scoring and weather.

Jelina Fernado (East Sussex National) and Brandy Rock (Royal Eastbourne), both County players, made their move with inward nines of two over par and with Edwards over-shooting the final green, dangerously close to going out of bounds, a play-off seemed imminent.

But using her recent elite squad short-game coaching, Edwards chipped it close and holed the put to become the first proud owner of the masters’ champion’s pink jumper.

The handicap event was keenly fought with Anna Wills (Crowborough Beacon) pipping Olivia Clegg (Cottesmore) on countback. Third was Lily Margiroli (Worthing), another elite squad member.

The nearest-the-pin prizes were awarded to Fernado, Rock and Tinson. A prize for best scores on the par threes and fives went to Rebecca Losh (Worthing).

The day finished with food and prizegiving attended by Bognor’s ladies’ captain Lyne Watson and Sussex vice-captain Sandra Hardman with support from parents and members.

In the opening match of the popular Wednesday Evening League, a competition held over the summer between Bognor, Worthing, Cowdray, Ham Manor and Littlehampton, Bognor’s men entertained Worthing.

The match was played in a howling wind but all golfers played well to produce an excellent match which ended 2½-2½, with most matches going to the 18th.

Worthing sent an exceptionally strong team but Bognor should have snatched victory as their pair of Redmond and Watson were five up with six to play, but halved.

Results: James MacLean & Richard Perry lost 1 down, John Cable & Richard Beresford won 2&1, Simon Watts & Ian Paine lost 1 down, Rob Redmond & Mark Watson halved, Steve Reddick & Rob Commins won 5&4

In the Kindred Cup, Bognor entertained Hockley, who have knocked Bognor out in the past two years. On this occasion Bognor ran away with it 4½-½ and go through to the last 16, where a tricky away tie at Lee-on-the-Solent beckons.

Club captain Simon Watts captained the team and set the tone with an excellent win in the first pairs.

Results: Simon Watts & Ian Paine won 2&1, John Cable & Richard Beresford won 3&2, Norman Lee & Peter Lott halved, Mark Watson & Dave Chalmers won 7&5, Steve Reddick & Rob Commins won 3&2.

In the county Cyril Blake Cup, Bognor travelled to near neighbours Goodwood. Many of the Kindred Cup team turned out again for Bognor and in a very even contest Bognor edged victory 2½-1½.

It went down to the last pair ande team captain Ron Stevens and Russell Braham won to take Bognor through. A home tie against Littlehampton awaits.

There were wins for Peter Lott and Dave Chalmers plus Ron Stevens and Russell Braham; Rolland Heath and Norman Lee halved and Simon Watts and Steve Reddick lost.

Bognor’s seniors had club matches against Worthing and The Dyke and in the Reg Pain Trophy.

They were at home to Worthing and after being 3-1 up after four pairs, Bognor just hung on, and ran out 5-3 winners.

Performance of the day was clearly John Owen and Richard Hedge’s 5&4 win over old friends Maurice Huggett and Frank Phillips.

Results: Allan Delves & Alan Fitzgerald lost 6&5, John Owen & Richard Hedge won 5&4, Dennis Burke & Frank Hodder won 3&, Peter Lott & Alastair MacDonald won 1 up, John Woodhead & Vic Ward lost 3&1, David Turner & Andy Isitt won 3&2, Ian Bright & Roger Selway won 4&2, Clive Millett & Peter Collins lost 1 down.

In the second club match, Bognor travelled to The Dyke. Most games were close-fought with the majority going to the 17th or 18th hole.

The exception was the Bognor pair Brian Madgwick and Gary Steventon who suffered a 9&8 loss, apparently down to exceptional play by their opponents. The Dyke eventually won 5-3.

Results: Barry Vanstone & David Turner won 2&1, Clive Millett & Tony Wells won 2&1, John Woodhead & Chris Hickling lost 4&2, Hugh Diaper & Vic Ward lost 1 down, Trevor Till & Peter Collins won 2&1, Alan Fitzgerald & Barry Appleby lost 3&2, Brian Madgwick & Gary Steventon lost 9&8, Ken Catt & Mike Wadley lost 2&1

A total of 60 Seniors turned out in cold, damp conditions for the Reg Pain Trophy, which doubles up as the Fletcher second round.

Some excellent scores were posted despite the weather and the winner with 40 points was Steve King. Second on countback was Peter McCormack, third on 38 Malcolm Dodds and fourth on countback Dave Chalmers.

Thanks go to Chris Hickling for organising the competition.

Twelve ladies from Bognor had a beautiful sunny morning to play a 36-hole scratch competition.

Fantastic golf was played, with eventual winner Chloe Court achieving a fabulous score of gross 75 in the morning round and 77 in the afternoon. Her handicap is down to two.

Heather Tidy was runner-up with two scores of 78.

All 12 ladies will now go through to a knockout to determine the ladies’ club champion.


In their first match of the season, Chichester ladies’ division-one team lost 4-3 at Cowdray Park.

Two matches were extremely close, with Chichester just losing out on the 18th hole. The team comprised Kathy Donohoe, Sang Porter, Lisa Michelmore, Rachel Greenland, Caroline Hawkes, Helen Ball and Mary Lou Litton.

In their next match, at home to East Brighton, the same team won 6-1, a great team result on a cold, windy day. The opposition found the Cathedral course challenging.

Chichester swept away their opposition at home to East Sussex National. The team of Kathy Donohoe, Sang Porter, Elaine Fell, Lisa Mitchelmore, Caroline Hawkes, Helen Ball and Mary-Lou Litton all played great golf to win 7-0. Birdies were sunk by both teams.

In the Daily Mail Foursomes, Kathy Donohoe and Caroline Hawkes played well to go through to the fourth round, winning 5&4.

They had to give 11 shots to the opposition, which was quite a pressure. Their putting was a great strength.

In the next round against Rowlands Castle, this time giving 14 shots, the ladies won on the 16th 3&2 as excellent putting saved the day.

It was a beautiful day for the 61 Chichester veterans who played for the Founders Cup. The vets were founded 21 years ago and all were delighted to give thanks to the two founder members Peter Abbott and Maurice Hall who took part.

The Cathedral course was in good condition and many scores reflected this.

It has been some time since a founder member won this competition and it was to everyone’s delight that Hall did so this time. With three nett eagles and six net birdies, he recorded a resounding 43 points to win by five from his nearest challenger.

Hall gave thanks to the fact that he had joined the vets all those years ago as it had given him much pleasure and satisfaction. The applause gave recognition to this most popular of winners.

Founders Cup result: 1 Maurice Hall 43pts; 2 Nick Hobbs 38; 3 Mike Dunckley 38; 4 Paul Compton 37; 5 Brian Burn 36; 6 Brendan Sharpe 36.

The veterans continued their winning ways in inter-club matches. They hosted Portsmouth (Crookhorn) and the 5-1 margin doesn’t tell the whole story as five matches went to the last green.

This was followed by a difficult trip to East Horton where the result went down to the last match. When Pete Collyer and Roy Chandler managed a half it meant the overall contest was won 3½-2½.

Scores (v Portsmouth): Bev Shrives-Wrist & Mike Hunter won 1 up; Brian Burn & Alan Payne won 2&1; Norman Moore & David Blythe lost 2 down; Graham Probert & John Paul won 4&3; Jim Robertson & Pete Collyer won 2 up; Paul Compton & Campbell Goldsmid won 2 up.

v East Horton: Bev Shrives-Wrist & Paul Compton lost 5&3; Graham Probert & Campbell Goldsmid won 5&3; Jim Robertson & Peter Green lost 2&1; Bruce Santer & Alan Payne won 5&3; Ken Jackson & David Blythe won 3&1; Pete Collyer & Roy Chandler halved.


The new Ultimate Corporate Pairs Challenge at Cowdray Park was won by a duo from a Chichester firm.

The event – sponsored by Barons BMW of Hindhead – was played in very difficult weather conditions. Gusty winds and overcast conditions meant players needed to be in good form.

As the teams came in there were lots of stories on how the weather was making it so difficult, especially in club selection.

Dave Porter and James Beck from CoverPlus Insurance Company from Arundel came in with a very good score, but were just beaten to the top spot by Rob Enock and Dan Jones of AJ Gallagher Insurance Company of Chichester, with a superb score of 66.

Their prize is a full day’s corporate hospitality for four people at the PGA Championship at Wentworth.

Enock was very complimentary on the condition of the course and the superb food served before prizegiving, with special thanks going to BMW at Hindhead for their sponsorship of this new competition.

Cowdray Park seniors travelled to face the West Surrey Sages on their superb course under match manager Terry Jasper for the the first time.

Cowdray put in a fine performance, being beaten only by a strong home side 5-3.

Jasper, partnered by seniors’ captain Sam Howes, showed his leadership qualities by sinking a nerve-wracking 5ft putt on the 18th green to secure a win for his side.

Cowdray doubled their advantage thanks in no little way to the performance of Jon Fife. The former West Surrey member revelled in the return to his previous club and wracked up 14 pars to partner Derek Smith to a 6&4 win.

The match involving David Tilley and Nick Austin proved tightly-contested, with Austin sinking putts of over 20ft on the 17th and 18th greens to earn a half.

West Surrey recovered to win the remaining matches bar one, which was halved by David Gaff and Ian Heustice.

Results (Cowdray Park names first): Terry Jasper & Sam Howes beat Clive Hoare & David Rogers 1up; Jon Fife & Derek Smith beat Robert Secrett & Derek Pitt 6&4; David Tilley & Nick Austin halved with Mark Ross & Kevin Dent; David Balfour & Graham Evans lost to Alan Wilkinson & Sandy Meadon 4&3; Peter Burton & Ken Marjoram lost to Martin Dennison & Tony Robinson 4&2; John Doran & Brian Carpenter lost to Mike Harrison & David Taylor 5&4; David Gaff & Ian Heustice halved with Terry Smith & Dave Ayling; Pat Harrison & John Smith lost to Dave Little & Terry Tidbury 5&3.

Some 31 pairs competed for the Cowdray Park seniors’ Podmore Salver, a greensomes Stableford.

There were many scores in the high 30s, reflecting the consistency of the players and the benign conditions. First place went to the first pair out, organiser Bill Hummerston and John Durrell, the pair scoring 42 points.

Second were Rob Knight and Brian Brockhurst with 40 and third with 39 went to John Lee and vice-captain Derek Smith.

The raffle raised £130 for Dreams Come True.

The weather deteriorated considerably during Cowdray Park seniors’ monthly Stableford. It was dry for about two hours before the heavy rain set in for the day.

A total of 33 players handed cards in but barely a dozen had completed the full 18 holes, as many of the greens were flooding.

After discussion with members and club pro Tim Allen, Sam Howes declared the event a non-qualifier because of the conditions, which rather penalised him as he had the best score of the day with 39 points. He paid particular tribute to Arthur Mayson and Joe Berzak, who started in the rain, and played right through the conditions, coming in with 30 and 31 points respectively, with Berzak firing a two on the ninth.