Hockey: Chichester are happy at Hampstead ... eventually

editorial image

Another victory for Chichester’s men’s first team headlines our latest local hockey round-up. Get involved by sending your hockey reports and team pictures to

West Hampstead 1 Chichester 2

South open premier div one

Chichester got back on the road - and back to winning ways - after feeling unlucky not to get anything from top-of-the-league Oxford University.

West Hampstead were rooted to the bottom of the table with only one point and they started with plenty of men behind the ball.

Chichester moved the ball well but were unable to create decent opportunities.

West Hampstead had the best of the first-half chances, twice breaking straight through the centre, but Dan Godsmark was on top form to deny them.

As the half went on, West Hampstead’s confidence grew - as did Chichester’s frustration. And Chichester were happy for the half-time whistle to go with the score remaining at 0-0.

After a stern talking-to from player-coach Jason Collins, Chichester started to play better hockey. Chances came their way with Martin Gough unlucky to see the ball squeeze past his stick at the far post, and efforts from Alex Baxter and Ollie Robinson flashing across the goal.

The breakthrough finally came when Richard Blakesley neatly finished a Robinson mis-hit shot at the far post.

A breakaway from West Hampstead saw the ball cross the D in front of the helpless Godsmark to a striker at the far post who appeared to put the ball in off his foot.

Chichester felt hard done by, but the goal stood after consultation between the umpires.

The feeling of injustice appeared to spur Chichester on and with ten minutes to go, Gough neatly won a penalty corner. Alex Thakore stepped up to fire in.

The game got heated - West Hampstead feeling they deserved more and Chichester were frustrated with a below-par performance. Cards came for Thakore and Gough, but Chichester saw the game out.

Other results at the top went Chichester’s way and they remain third, only two points off the top.

This Saturday they are at home to London Wayfarers (1.30pm) at Kingsham.

CHICHESTER: Godsmark; Matthews; Spear; Collins; Henn; Holton; Robinson; Thakore; Blakesley; Ranger; Baxter; Gough; Sparshott.

Brighton and Hove III 4 Chichester PP Ladies 3

This fixture was always going to be one of the toughest challenges of the season so far.

The game was played on B&H’s new pitches and the surface was very bouncy.

The teams were competitive from the start and there were chances for both sides.

Brighton were quite physical and this made Chichester wary of making too many mistakes.

Chi took the lead through Floor Van Der Stap after some great midfield battling.

Brighton weren’t going to sit back and soon equalised. This seemed to rock Chi and they made some bad decisions that led to the home side going 2-1 up.

Chichester’s heads went down as this was the first time they’d been behind all season. It was soon to get worse as B&H scored a third.

Chichester came out in the second half determined to improve - and they did. With better passing, Chi put pressure on the home side and were rewarded with a well-worked goal from Van Der Stap, her second.

Chi continued to work hard but still made fundamental errors which gave the Chichester backs something to think about.

As Chichester played better and worked more as a unit the opportunity came to Nikki Kuntze and she scored the crucial equaliser.

Chichester kept out Brighton until the last minute when B&H got the winner.

They were gutted but can take away positives from the second-half performance.

CHICHESTER: Young, Ursell, Helme, Strang, Chaplin, Van der Stap, Marks, Greenlees, Hudson, Kuntze, Austin, Areka, Van der Beek.

Chichester Centurions 1 Horsham Ladies IV 3

The first half was end to end and Chantelle Strudwick made several excellent saves while the rest of the Centurions defence made clean interceptions and clearances.

Unfortunately Centurions were unable to capitalise on goalscoring opportunities, but Horsham moved swiftly down the left wing to score.

A strong clearance by Dawn Brooker began a Centurions attack and Claire Mealing provided an excellent through-ball to Louise Thew, who made a superb strike that made it 1-1 at half-time.

The second half saw Horsham steal more possession and despite some intelligent passing by Centurions, they sped forward to score twice.

Centurions showed strength, determination and skill right until the final whistle.

CENTURIONS: Thew, Brooker, Sarson, Edge, Mealing, Brown, Harbord, Harris, Strudwick, Johnstone, Williams, Wake, Hurford.

Chichester Chipmunks 2 Chichester Cardinals 4

Sussex open division three

Two Chichester sides clashed with lower-placed Cardinals securing a deserved victory.

From the pushback, it was clear which side were more focused and hungrier for the ball.

The Cardinals harried the Chipmunks defence and crashed the ball repeatedly across the Chipmunks D and were unlucky not to take the lead in the first five minutes.

Despite hard work from Jamie Gleeson, making his 100th appearance for Chipmunks, and great support from fellow defenders Rupert Woodruff and Richard Creswiick, the Cardinals managed two fine strikes to take a firm grip.

With a third before half-time the Cardinals turned arround firmly in control.

In the second half, the Chipmunks started to play better hockey and their speed allowed them to put pressure on the Cardinals defence.

Goals from Arun Kathegesu and Elliott Sturdey saw the Chipmunks back in it.

The Cardinals always had a threat with hard running from their forwards and Andrew Macartian was unlucky to be denied.

A late corner saw the Cardinals run out 4-2 winners, leaving them ninth and the Chipmunks sixth.

CHIPMUNKS: Hetherington, Gleeson T, Creswick R, Gleeson J, Woodruff, Kathegesu, Hindmarch T, Hindmarch C, Lowther, Sturdey, Creswick A, Dannatt, Stemp.

Chichester Cherubs 3 Worthing 1

The Cherubs welcomed two new players - Oli Troy and George Doran - to the team and they really strengthened the squad and allowed the team to play without the support of an adult on the pitch.

The first goal came from a great passage of play down the right ending with Alex Pendle slotting home the first goal. Worthing had a good 15-minute spell which resulted in the equaliser.

Just before half-time another great passing move down the right resulted in a cross to Gabriel Robson, who scored a great goal.

The second half saw Chichester defend well. Ten minutes from the end Chichester broke and Troy scored an unstoppable goal in the top corner to clinch a well-deserved three points.

Chichester under-12 girls travelled to play in the East Grinstead tournament.

Starting against Eastbourne tournament winners Burgess Hill, Chichester worked hard building from the back through Jenni Horton and Charlotte Stemp, with skipper Rachael Trent always providing an outlet on the right.

Chichester could not find the net, drawing a game they looked like winning.

This was followed by a game with Worthing which again saw useful interventions by sisters Emily and Rebecca Stone and Georgina Wain - but again Chi unable to score.

Chichester next faced a strong East Grinstead team looking to do well on their home pitch. Chichester secured their third draw in a row.

Their final game saw them play Worthing again. Chichester broke the deadlock with Jess Gleeson lifting the ball past the Worthing keeper.

Forwards Tabitha Trend and Katie Rose created opportunities as Chichester ran out 1-0 victors with keeper Rhianna Batchelor keeping another clean sheet.

At the end Chichester were presented with Sussex Hockey’s Fair Play award for their performance at the Ron Easton Tournament in Eastbourne earlier in the month.

CHICHESTER: Batchelor, Horton, Stone E, Wain, Trent, Gleeson, Rose, Stemp, Stone R, Trend.