Hockey: Chichester keen on Keynes trip

editorial image

A fourth straight win for Chichester’s first XI heads this week’s hockey round-up.

Milton Keynes 1 Chichester 3

South open premier division one

Chichester had not won at MK on any of their previous three trips - but continued their excellent start to the season.

The opening ten minutes were slow and sluggish and it looked like the three-hour journey had taken its toll on the Chichester team.

Although perhaps not at their best, Chichester commanded the remainder of the first half. A couple of good chances were created but Alex Holton and Alex Baxter were denied by a couple fine saves by the MK goalkeeper.

With Chichester unable to break the deadlock, it was inevitable MK’s first attack would result in a goal.

A speculative hit into the D deflected off Chichester’s Connor McLoughlin and flew into the top corner, leaving Chichester keeper Dan Godsmark stranded.

With Chichester 1-0 down but dominating it was only a matter of time before Chichester scored and a quick interchange between Richard Blakesley and Alex Thakore created space for McLoughlin to power a shot into the bottom corner at the correct end.

With ten minutes to go, Chichester continued to press for a winner and some great work from Martin Gough resulted in a penalty corner.

It was Chichester’s turn to get some luck when Alex Baxter’s drag flick deflected off an MK stick into the bottom corner.

Chichester made the three points safe when Jack Lerwill made it 3-1.

Chichester have won four on the bounce and will look to make it five in a much-anticipated encounter this Saturday against Old Georgians at Kingsham (1.30pm).

Chichester II 3 Wanderers 2

Chichester maintained their unbeaten home record.

They started positively but conceded early on. Unfazed, they worked hard and were rewarded with a penalty corner and Neil Pendle followed up the shot to score from close range.

Chichester came out firing with Bryan Lock going close with a diving deflected effort. However the away side struck against the run of play through a fortunate penalty corner.

Chichester pressed on and scored on the counter-attack through Strudwick, who hammered home from the top of the D.

Despite some yellow cards, Chichester concentrated well in defence and were able to counter again and win a penalty corner which Strudwick converted, expertly slinging the ball into the side netting.

CHICHESTER: Gotham, Gammon, Brook, Beales, Dougal, Garret, Pendle, O’Boyle, Lunn, Lane-Smith, L Strudwick, Lock, Martin, Jenkins.

Chichester Ladies 4 Southwick 0

On the coldest day of the year so far, with both teams level on points it was essential Chi came out on top.

Chichester put the pressure on from the start and great work from Nikki Kuntze and the midfield got Chi into the opposition’s D and they were awarded a penalty corner.

With hard work down the right, Beth Marks forced her way through the Southwick defence and scored from close range.

The home side were rewarded again when they won a penalty corner from which Kate Helme scored her second in consecutive games. There was pressure from the opposition but Mel Banks was in control in the centre.

Chichester’s third came from another penalty corner. The ball came out to Tracy Austin who had a clean strike from the top of the circle.

After half-time Chi built from the back. Southwick pounced on mistakes but Chi battled hard to deny Southwick any chances.

Helme pushed up and hit the ball into the attacking D, and it took a deflection from Southwick stick and into the goal - which stood under this season’s new rules.

Southwick’s heads started to go down and so Chichester consolidated their position to make it five wins out of five and another clean sheet for Claire Young in goal.

CHICHESTER: Young, Austin, Banks, Strang, Chaplin, Helme, Kuntze, Marks, Arke, Greenlees, Greenway, Van Der Stap.

City of Portsmouth II Chichester IV 4

Chichester’s interplay and quick movement between the midfield and forwards caused City of Portsmouth problems throughout.

Chichester’s first goal came when left-back Rob Holden, Pat Sowden and Kit Steely set up Matt Gammon.

Josh Odell capitalised on a short corner to make it 2-0 at the break.

Chichester were rewarded with another short corner and Odell scored with a nicely-taken push drive.

The team’s final goal arrived when Odell picked out skipper Gavin Walrond, whose hard hit into the D enabled Gammon to deflect it in.

Chichester Cherubs 0 Horsham Hotshots 0

In their toughest game so far this season, the Cherubs played exceptionally well to remain unbeaten.

The opposition were an older and physically stronger and in the first half had a large amount of possession which resulted in a series of short corners.

But thanks to the brilliance of Jeremy Newton-Young in goal they were unable to convert them into goals.

The Chichester midfield of Gabriel Robson, George Stremes and Alex Jolley worked hard to close the opposition down.

In the second half, Newtown-Young continued to frustrate the opposition and the defenders, expertly led by James Palmer, worked tirelessly.

The Cherubs started to apply pressure of their own through George and Gabriel combined to release Alex Pendle, who created opportunities for Jacob Stremes and Alfie Shaw.

In the last ten minutes the Cherubs soaked up the late pressure to earn a well-earned point.

Southwick II 0 Chichester Chipmunks 6

Sussex division three

Chichester put in a positive performance at Southwick.

Injury forced changes to the side but Chichester dominated the early exchanges. though they couldn’t find the net until Woodruff broke from the right and skipped past two defenders to slide the ball into the D.

Andrew Creswick reacted quickly and carressed the ball into the goal.

A period of concerted Chichester pressure followed, which led to Andrews scoring from a messy penalty corner.

After the break Kathegesu found space and bagged a second-half hat-trick with goals from close range as Southwick tired.

Chichester rotated their players from the bench, with Dannatt showing promising touches on his debut. Skipper Jamie Gleeson pressed further forward than usual and after a swift interchange with Kathegesu calmly flicked home to round off the scoring.

The result pushed Chichester up the table.

CHICHESTER: Woodall, Gleeson T, Stemp, Woodruff, Gleeson J, Kathegesu, Farr, Pacey, Lowther, Sturdey, Creswick R, Andrews, Dannatt, Creswick R.