Sailor Dawber’s not put off by typical bank holiday weather

editorial image

Strong winds and an early start meant several would-be competitors stayed in bed on the first day of the May Mini series at Dell Quay.

First across the line were Rob Corfield and Cat Underwood (RS 400) but they were beaten on handicap by Bill Dawber, who finished comfortably ahead of Malcolm Buchanan, both in Solos, with Graham and Fiona Dalton (Laser 2000) third.

Sunday’s wind was even stronger and the Solos again dominated the racing, with Dawber and Buchanan taking the first two places and Bill Munnery third.

The wind eased to a force four on Monday to bring an entry of 15 boats for the final two races on the bank holiday.

In the first of these, close racing between the Solos of Bill Dawber and Chris Ede left Dawber ahead by just three seconds at the finish, with Chris Wood (Streaker) close behind.

In the final race, Ede was ahead of Dawber for much of the race but was overtaken on the second lap and had to settle for second place, with Wood third. The mini series was won overall by Bill Dawber, with Corfield and Underwood second and Ede third.


A pleasant breeze and fine conditions greeted competitors in the Chichester Yacht Club ladies’ regatta. Two races were held for female helms, the majority crewed by other women, with Helen Green choosing her son Stephen to crew for her.

In race one, Luissa Porter (Laser Radial) had a close race with Amanda Russell and Alison Elliott (Laser 2000).

Although they were close on the water, Porter was well ahead on handicap. Second were Russell and Elliott, third Biddy Colbourne and Sophie Kirk (GP14), just ahead on handicap of Helen and Stephen Green in a Laser 2000.

In race two Porter had a close race this time with the Laser 2000 of Laurie Winther and Anne Watkins, with Porter again taking first on handicap. Third were the Greens.

Final results: 1 Luissa Porter (Laser Radial),

2 Helen & Stephen Green (Laser 2000),

3 Biddy Colbourne & Sophie Kirk (GP14).

Chichester’s Lady Todd races had to be called off in force six to seven winds after a number of capsizes and kit failures.