Pagham strike Golds and lance Lancing

Pagham struck Golds as they came back from 1-0 down to win 4-1 to beat Littlehampton in a pulsating SCFL premier division derby.

Friday, 21st October 2016, 12:00 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 2:26 am
Action from Pagham's superb win over Littlehampton / Picture by Roger Smith
Action from Pagham's superb win over Littlehampton / Picture by Roger Smith

By the end both sides were down to ten men, and there’d been a hotly-disputed penalty and a torrential downpour that failed to dampen the enthusiasm of the crowd.

Early pressure came from the Lions although Littlehampton’s Dean Jarman had a shot charged down. Golds keeper Luke Hutchins was having a superb game, parrying a shot from Lloyd Rowlatt and making superb fingertip save from Kieron Pamment.

Pamment hit the side netting for Pagham while Jarman’s shot was wild and wide on 24 minutes.

A Lions corner was blocked on the line before the ball fell to Scott Murfin, who struck just wide.

He had a further chance to score near the half hour. A free-kick found its way to Murfin, his looping shot going just wide.

Josh Bates for the visitors was talked to by the referee before Jarman was booked. Ruben French’s free-kick was well dealt with by Hutchins.

Former Lion Mike Asare was leading the line for Littlehampton and almost opened the scoring on 39 minutes with a stinging strike that went just over.

Rowlatt was next in the book, but with play nearly all with Pagham, the visitors took a shock lead just before half-time. A pass by Hand ended up at the feet of Ben Gray and his run and shot from the right rifled past Binfield.

After the break Gray was cautioned, much to his and his manager’s disgust.

Four minutes into the half, the Lions were level. Murfin found time and space to run and score a tremendous solo goal.

Pagham’s Liam Humphreys was shown a yellow card for a late tackle. Joe Shelley was close with an effort on goal near the hour as the rain came down to make a fraught game even edgier.

Asare was next to be cautioned by the referee before Murfin’s superb strike on 65 minutes put the Lions ahead, his shot on the turn giving Hutchins no chance.

Callum Overton and Jordan Clark came on for the Lions, Morey and Shay Wiggans’ work done.

Overton was instrumental in Pagham’s next goal. Showing a clean pair of heels to Dan Cox as he raced into the area, Overton was clipped and the referee pointed to the spot.

Cox was sent off and Littlehampton boss Ady Baker sent to the stand. Up stepped Murfin to take the spot kick and complete his hat-trick.

On 77 minutes Rowlatt picked up a second yellow card and was banished.

A frantic last quarter hour saw a great save from Binfield to deny Gray before Pamment picked up a pass from Overton and rifled the ball home to make it 4-1.

Pagham; Binfield, Wiggans (Overton 66), French, Swain, Wollers, Humphreys, Shelley, Rowlatt, Pamment, S Murfin (N Murfin 84), Morey (Clark 66). Subs not used: Irish, Warren.


Pagham 5 Lancing 0

SCFL premier

After Scott Murfin’s hat-trick on Saturday, it was Kieron Pamment’s turn as the Lancers were left pointless in this convincing Lions win.

Lancing keeper Josh Green kept Pagham at bay for a short while, but could do nothing as Pamment struck the opener on 11 minutes. Latching on to a Murfin pass, Pamment’s jinking run and shot deservedly ended with a goal.

Lancing’s George Fenton committed an awful studs-up challenge on Neil Murfin which saw the Lancing player booked, and Murfin had to go off.

James Binfield was forced to come out and collect as Lancing looked for a reply, with Daryl Wollers impressing in defence for the Lions.

It should have been 2-0 on 35 minutes as the Lions raced towards goal, but Pamment was unable to reach the ball to poke it home.

Tom Caplain’s run ended with a chance for Lancing. Liam Humphreys had the ball in the net for Pagham on 43 minutes, only for the offside flag to rob him.

Pamment was more fortunate and two goals in the last couple of minutes of the half gave him his hat-trick.

Six minutes into the second half, it was 4-0. Scott Murfin was muscled to the ground inside the area and he gained his revenge with a penalty down the middle which left Josh Green stranded.

Another late challenge by Lancing brought another booking. Elliott Finney’s tackle saw him get a yellow card and Pamment went close from the free-kick.

On the hour came a contender for goal of the season. After losing the ball to the opposition, Joe Shelley took some flak from the fans. His response was to pick the ball up just on the halfway mark, spot Green off his line and unleash a screamer of a shot which looped over the stricken keeper: 5-0 and still a half-hour left.

Liam Hendy and Mike Williamson shot wide while Humphreys’ pinpoint header past Green was disallowed for offside.

Lancing sub Zack Kavanagh was lucky not to be cautioned on 79 minutes with a tackle that took out Pamment.

Jordan Clark shot wide and a tremendous run from Luke Donaldson ended with a shot off-target.

Pagham sub Callum Overton tried his luck but Green was equal to it. Three minutes from time Wollers was given a stiff talking-to by the referee following an earlier tackle.

Pagham: Binfield, N Murfin (Morey 19), Warren, Swain, Wollers, Humphreys, Shelley, Clark, Pamment, S Murfin (Kempson 57), Rowlatt (Overton 57). Unused sub: French.


Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!