Promotion hopes suffer setback as Rocks lose at Enfield

Bognor fell to their first league defeat since the end of January as they lost 1-0 at Enfield - and saw their lead at the top of the Ryman premier cut to just one point.

Saturday, 1st April 2017, 10:31 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 8:16 pm
Jimmy Muitt / Picture by Tim Hale

It just wasn't Bognor's day as a single goal by Karl Olyide was enough to give Enfield the win, strengthening their own hopes of getting to the play-offs.

Dan Beck was on the bench as he tries to shake off a hip problem, while James Fraser appeared despite a back strain. Gary Charman was in midfield after a week in the wars while Chad Field was back at the heart of defence after a three-game ban.

Within the first minute, Tyler Campbell made some headway for the hosts but was shut down. Dernell Wynter sped through but saw his shot stopped by Dan Lincoln on three minutes.

Ollie Pearce's eventual cross found Charman but his header was well stopped by Nathan McDonald. Campbell won a corner on the right for the hosts on seveb minutes. Nathan Livings took it and a header at goal was blocked.

Fraser teed up Jimmy Wild but he smashed it high and wide on ten minutes, then Livings blasted an effort over the bar for Enfield. James Crane's cross was cut out and a similar move at the other end was halted by Lincoln.

A rather dusty and uneven pitch made it hard to pass it on the ground. Livings's free-kick had to be saved by Lincoln on 20 minutes. Enfield were putting the Rocks under pressure and won a corner on the left, but it was dealt with.

A big forward ball by Lincoln from the free-kick saw the ball fall to Doug Tuck but his low attempt was easily stopped by the goalkeeper. Bognor's best earliy chance saw Pearce's curling forward free-kick find the stretching Charman and his header spun at goal but McDonald was equal to it. Wynter was shown a yellow card on 27 minutes for a clear foul on Fraser deep inside Bognor's half.

On 31 minutes Enfield hit Bognor on the counter and a quick move instigated by Campbell saw him find Oliyide, who slotted it low into the corner for the lead. Soon after, Harry Ottaway tried his luck from just outside the box after, but his shot bounced into Lincoln's arms.

Charman slammed the ball in from the left and it was like a game of pinball as Fraser and then Crane hit it but saw their efforts blocked. A free-kick by Livings picked out Wynter, but under pressure from Charman he nodded it over the bar on 41 minutes.

From Crane's left-sided throw in the ball bounced out of the box and Sami El-Abd hit it on the rise. The ball bounced just wide of the post. Charman's long throw was knocked high in the air by Wild and easily gathered by the goalkeeper.

HT 1-0

With Pearce having been replaced by Alex Parsons at the break, Scott Shulton had the Rocks on the back foot but smashed one over the bar from outside the area as Field failed to clear. Crane required treatment after a clash in the air.

Oscar Haynes Brown replaced Jimmy Muitt on 57 minutes. Immediately he was in the box to receive the ball from a Charman cross but he was facing the wrong way and couldn't get a shot away.

Following another long throw by Charman, the ball bounced out to Haynes-Brown who hit it well and his dipping shot was well stopped by McDonald on 63 minutes. Bognor won a free-kick on 67 minutes. Fraser drove the ball in but Wild couldn't head home.

Crane's header from way out was well stopped following yet another long throw into the box. Gabriel received a booking after a late challenge near the halfway line. Campbell blasted another solo attempt over as frustrations grew, with Harvey Whyte receiving a talking-to.

Tuck came off for Darren Budd on 74 minutes before Whyte was shown a yellow card on 77 minutes. Campbell was replaced by Mickey Parcell on 78 minutes for the hosts.

An Enfield cross from the right was headed back inside by Ottaway, then Shulton was all on his own but could only sent his header over on 81 minutes.

Wild won a free-kick which Budd took on 83 minutes but Enfield were first to it. Soon,Budd's strike appeared to be blocked by a hand - then a similar thing happened in the middle of the park for the hosts as a clear handball appeal went ignored.

Oliyide was replaced by Samir Bihmoutine on 84 minutes for the hosts. Charman won a corner. The ball was headed out and Budd smacked it high back into the area but play was stopped for a foul on the goalkeeper by Charman.

Bobby Devyne replaced Wynter for the hosts on 88 minutes. Whyte hooked the ball into the box but El-Abd's header was easily gathered by McDonald.

Fraser ran through and blasted narrowly wide following a good save from McDonald. Lincoln was up for the corner but the home keeper managed to gather the loose ball.

Then Shulton received a yellow card for a foul. Parsons's long cross found Crane and his header was easily saved by the goalkeeper.

Another five minutes of stoppage time followed but the Rocks couldn't rescue a point.

News of a late Havant winner - scored by Jason Prior from the spot - didn't help the Rocks mood but they must lift themselves again after this rare defeat and go for glory at AFC Sudbury next Saturday.

Rocks: Lincoln, Whyte, Crane, Tuck (Budd 74), El-Abd, Field, Fraser, Charman, Wild, Pearce (Parsons HT), Muitt (Haynes Brown 57). Subs not used: Davies, Beck.

Att - 672

Report by Liam Goodley