Rugby: Under-16s win praise... Colts look forward to cup final

Chichester RFC under-16s finished second in the league and travelled to Horsham RFC to play league winners Horsham in the league cup final '“ the first final Chi had been in.

Sunday, 1st May 2016, 9:00 am
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 6:39 pm
Chi RFC's under-16s

The first half started with Chi a little nervous, making uncharacteristic mistakes and allowing the more experienced Horsham side to score the first three points through a penalty.

Chi’s forwards dominated the breakdowns but were unable to create clear openings. Horsham pounced on a loose ball to score the first try. Chi continued to play well but went into half-time 15-0 down.

The second half saw Chi continuing to play well but unable to get over the try line with good defensive play from Horsham.

The match finished with Horsham running out 20-0 winners but the score did not reflect the Chi effort. 

The Chi lads played really well in their first final.

It has been an excellent season and the lads have played some fantastic rugby and improved week on week – finishing the season as a strong, focused, committed squad.

They move up to colts level next year.

CHICHESTER: C Wale, H Coppin, F Bonar, J Baird, J Watts, E Lawrance, A Montague, C Jarjat, T Makasi, C Moore, H Raynor, J Hildred, H Minton, J Martin, J Goodwin, R Russell, B Owers, L Dyer-Ward, J Newton-Young, T Knight, D Junco-Richi, A Ayling.


Chichester Colts marched into the Sussex Cup final and guarateed themselves a second-placed finish in the league with a superb 45-5 victory at Crowborough in a cup-league double header.

Within the first five minutes the cohesion of the forward Blues pack showed as they muscled their bigger opponents back with hooker Iwan Munroe touching down. Tom Hutchin slotted the conversion.

With Ed Grinsted and Elliot Quinten knocking back their opposite numbers, quick ball led to Will Prior brushing tacklers aside and he powered under the posts for a fantastic individual try from 30m.

Half-backs Josh Goodwin and Hutchin pulled the strings and the backs started to crackle, Joe Stirrup and Alex Margarson linking well with the latter showing an excellent turn of pace to ghost away from despairing tackles – 15 minutes in it was 21-0.

Hutching sped through a gap, timing his pass well to Alex Baxter, who showed his pace and strength brushing the first tackler away and unloading to Daniel Patterson, who raced in from 30m out.

Crowborough re-grouped but excellent tackling out wide cut out chances – then Quinten used his power and Baxter raced away for the last try of the half.

Chichester now had to play up a slight hill after the break and Crowbrough fought tooth and nail to stay in it.

Crowborough looked more threatening and the right winger slid over to score and make it 31-5. But the last 15 minutes was all blue.

Charlie Constable and Tom Grace teed up Margarson to round of a good personal game with jinking try. Then Constable timed his pass superbly to skipper Stirrup to dive over in the corner.

Chichester are confirmed as Colts Premier League runners up – their highest position for some years – and will face Worthing in the county cup final at Brighton RFC on May 15.

The colts have had a great season and would love plenty of support at Brighton.

CHICHESTER: Prior, Munroe, Delacy, Fitzmaurice, Watmore, Grinsted, Adlington, Quinton, Goodwin, Hutchin, Baxter, Stirrup, Margarson, Gallimore, Patterson, Brereton, Rugman, Constable, Scott, Seehawong, Grace.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!